Interesting Links on
of Drug Addiction (NIDA
- National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Introduction to the Brain
- The Reward Pathway and Addiction
- The Action of Heroin (Morphine)
- The Action of Cocaine
- Background Information for the Presenter
- Creating Slides for Presentation
to Home - Science - Addiction as a Disease
- What Are the Differences Between a Drug User, a Drug Abuser, and a
- Crossing the Line to Addiction: How and When Does It Happen?
- Relapse and Craving (with animation)
- Why Do People Take Drugs in the First Place? (with animation)
- Do All Drugs Affect the Brain Similarly? (with animation)
- From Enjoyment to Dependence
- Vulnerability to Addiction
- The Role of Biology and Genetics "Gateway" Drugs?
- Can the Addicted Brain Change Back?
- Nicotine Addiction (NIDA)
- What is nicotine?
- Is nicotine addictive?
- What is the extent and impact of tobacco use?
- How does nicotine deliver its effect?
- What happens when nicotine is taken for long periods of time?
- What are the medical consequences of nicotine use?
- Smoking and pregnancy: What are the risks?
- Are there effective treatments for nicotine addiction?
- Are there gender differences in tobacco smoking?
- Where can I get further scientific information about nicotine addiction?
- Glossary and References
- What is marijuana?
- How is marijuana used?
- How long does marijuana stay in the user's body?
- How many teens smoke marijuana?
- Why do young people use marijuana?
- What happens if you smoke marijuana?
- What are the short-term effects of marijuana use?
- Does marijuana affect school, sports, or other activities?
- What are the long-term effects of marijuana use?
- Does marijuana lead to the use of other drugs?
- How can you tell if someone has been using marijuana?
- How does marijuana affect driving? Is marijuana sometimes used as a
- If someone is pregnant and smokes it, will marijuana hurt the baby?
- What does marijuana do to the brain?
- Can people become addicted to marijuana?
- What if a person wants to quit using the drug?
Brain Briefings (Society for Neuroscience)
Web of Addictions
- What's new on the Web of Addictions
- Facts, a collection of fact sheets and other material arranged by drug.
- Links to net resources related to addictions.
- Rolodex, contact information for a variety of groups.
- Meetings and Conferences in the addictions area.
- Topics, in-depth information on special topics
- Help, places to get help with addictions
Drug Watch International
- Drug Watch International Newsletters (PDF)
- Economics of Drug Addiction
- Effects of Marijuana and other Drugs
- European Drug News
- Harm Reduction and Minimization
- Law Enforcement
- Marijuana Research Reviews
- Medical Marijuana
- Needle Exchange and Handout Programs
- Other Drug Issues and Papers
- Position Papers
- Research Reviews and Updates
- Media Releases
- Truth and Lies
- World News and Editorials
- Document Index and FTP site
- Drug Watch International Speakers Bureau
Alcohol and Drug